- 275 - M. Claudius Tacitus appointed Rōmānisc Cāsere to the senate.
- 303 - On a voyage preaching the gospel, Hālga Fermin of Pamplona was beheaded in Amiens, Gaul.
- 1066 - Beadu on Stānfordbrycge, marking the end of the Ƿīcinga Ieldu in Englalande.
- 1396 - Ottoman Emperor Beyazid I defeats crīsten here in þǣm Beadu Nicopolis
- 1513 - Spēonisc explorer Vasco Nūñez de Balboa reached the Stillehæf
- 1555 - The Peace of Augsburg is signed in Augsburg by Charles V and the princes of the Schmalkaldic League.
- 1690 - "Publick Occurrences Both Foreign and Domestick", the first newspaper published in the Americas, published for the first and only time.
- 1789 - The Bill of Rights passes the U.S. Congress.
- 1804 - The Teton Sioux (a subdivison of the Lakota) demand one of the boats from the Corps of Discovery as a toll for moving further upriver.
- 1846 - Americanisce heras gelǣdd fram Zachary Taylor captured þā Mexiciscan burg Monterrey.
- 1890 - Yosemite National Park established in California.
- 1912 - Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism founded in Nīƿeoforƿicburg.
- 1955 - The Royal Jordanian Air Force was founded.
- 1957 - Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas is integrated through the use of United States Army troops
- 1962 - The People's Democratic Republic of Algeria was formally proclaimed. Ferhat Abbas is gecoren sƿa Foresittend of the provisional government.
- 1978 - PSA Flight 182, a Boeing 727, collides in mid-air with a Cessna 172 and crashes in San Diego, California resulting in the deaths of 144 people.
- 1981 - Sandra Day O'Connor was the 102nd Justice sworn in as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, the first woman to hold the office.
- 1983 - Sofiet military officer Stanislav Petrov averts a worldwide nuclear war
- 1996 - The last of the Magdalen Asylums was closed in Īrlande
- 1998 - A Pauknair BAE146 crashes into hillside in Morocco killing 38.
- 1358 - Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, Ashikaga shogun (b. 1408)
- 1644 - Ole Rømer, Denisc astronomer (d. 1710)
- 1683 - Jean-Philippe Rameau, composer (d. 1764)
- 1725 - Nicolas Joseph Cugnot, automobile pioneer
- 1862 - Billy Hughes, seofoða Forma Minister of Australia (d. 1952)
- 1866 - Thomas Morgan, geneticist (d. 1945)
- 1897 - William Faulkner, novelist (d. 1962)
- 1903 - Mark Rothko, painter (d. 1970)
- 1906 - Dmitri Shostakovich, Russisc composer (d. 1975)
- 1917 - Johnny Sain, baseball pitcher
- 1918 - Phil Rizzuto, baseball announcer
- 1920 - Sergei Bondarchuk, actor (d. 1994)
- 1922 - Hammer DeRoburt, ǣrest foresittend Nauru (d. 1992)
- 1926 - Aldo Ray, actor (d. 1991)
- 1927 - Sir Colin Davis, Englisc conductor
- 1930 - Shel Silverstein, humorist, author (d. 1999)
- 1931 - Barbara Walters, broadcaster
- 1932 - Glenn Gould, pianist, composer (d. 1982)
- 1933 - Hubie Brown, basketball coach, television analyst
- 1936 - Juliet Prowse, actress, dancer (d. 1996)
- 1938 - Jonathan Motzfeldt, ǣrest Forma Minister of Greenland
- 1943 - Robert Gates, fīftēoða Director of Central Intelligence
- 1944 - Michael Douglas, actor, producer
- 1947 - Cheryl Tiegs, model
- 1951 - Mark Hamill, actor
- 1952 - Christopher Reeve, actor (d. 2004)
- 1958 - Michael Madsen, actor
- 1961 - Heather Locklear, actress, model
- 1962 - Aida Turturro, actress
- 1965 - Scottie Pippen, basketball star
- 1968 - Will Smith, actor, rapper
- 1969 - Hansie Cronje, Sūþ African cricketer
- 1969 - Catherine Zeta-Jones, actress
- 1970 - Dean Ween, musician ("Ween")
- 1971 - John Lynch, Americanisc fōtball player
- 1971 - Hal Sparks, actor
- 1975 - Declan Donnelly, Englisc television presenter
- 1975 - Matt Hasselbeck, Americanisc fōtball quarterback
- 1976 - Chauncey Billups, basketball player
- 1066 - Harold III Norþƿeges, in þǣm Beade on Stānfordbrycge
- 1066 - Tostig Gōdƿines sunu, Eorl of Norþumbria and broðor Harold II Englalandes, in þǣm Beade on Stānfordbrycge
- 1086 - William VIII, dux Aquitaines
- 1333 - Prince Morikuni, 9th Kamakura shogun of Japan (b. 1301)
- 1534 - Pāpa Clement VII
- 1825 - Joachim Heer, Swiss politician († 1879)
- 1849 - Johann Strauss I, Ēastrīcisc composer
- 1867 - Oliver Loving, Texas pioneer, rancher
- 1970 - Erich Maria Remarque, author
- 1979 - Tapio Rautavaara, athlete, actor, singer
- 1980 - John Bonham, drummer (Led Zeppelin)
- 1980 - Lewis Milestone, film director
- 1983 - Cyning Leopold III of Belgium
- 1984 - Walter Pidgeon, actor
- 1987 - Mary Astor, actress
- 1987 - Emlyn Williams, actor
- 1996 - Nicu Ceausescu, Romanian politician, son of Nicolae Ceausescu
- 1999 - Marion Zimmer Bradley, science fiction author
- 2000 - R. S. Thomas, Welsh poet (b. 1913)
- 2003 - Aquila al-Hashimi, Iraqi politician, member of the Governing Council
- 2003 - Franco Modigliani, economist
- 2003 - George Plimpton, Americanisc Renaissance man
- 2003 - Edward Said, professor at the Nīƿe Eoforƿic Columbia University, proponent of Palestinian rights
|Se æfterra Gēola | Solmōnaþ | Hrēþmōnaþ | Ēastermōnaþ | Þrimilcemōnaþ | Sēremōnaþ | Mǣdmōnaþ | Ƿēodmōnaþ | Hāligmōnaþ | Ƿinterfylleþ | Blōtmōnaþ | Gēolmōnaþ|